HISTORY OF MT. PLEASANT
Mt. Pleasant dates back to 1878,
when the original building was erected by members and friends. The land , one acre, more or less, was bought from William Beatty and Lydia J. Beatty, his wife, for the sum of $50.00. Prior to 1878, Mt. Pleasant members met in the Mountain Schoolhouse. A longtime member of the church, Mrs. Goodhart, served as the church treasurer when the original church was erected and for years afterward. On the completion of the edifice, Mrs. Goodhart was accorded the pleasure of naming the church and the name she selected was "Mount Pleasant".
In 1958, Henry King and Mae King, his wife, donated two acres, more or less, on the other side of Rt. 663 to the Trustees of Mt. Pleasant Church. Shortly thereafter the congregation began work on the present building which includes the sanctuary, classrooms, rest rooms, kitchen and social hall. The old church was torn down after completion of the new one.
The church was originally part of the Doubs Circuit in Maryland until the flood of 1936 when the Point of Rocks bridge was washed away. At that time, it was placed on the Hillsboro Charge. Eventually, it became part of the Lovettsville Charge along with Bethel, Mt. Olivet and Rehobeth. Effective July 1, 1992, the Lovettsville Charge consists of Mt. Pleasant and Bethel. The Lovettsville charge dissolved on July 1, 2017 and Mount Pleasant joined Mount Olivet UMC in a cooperative parish named the Mt Olivet - Mt Pleasant Cooperative Parish of the United Methodist Church.
In addition to Sunday School and Worship Service each Sunday morning, Mt. Pleasant invites you to join the many other opportunities for worship and fellowship held throughout the year. WELCOME!